NotSoLiteraryHeiresses

The Not-So-Literary Heiresses

We came from a family of writers. Alas, we can't write. So we blog about our love for books instead.

SPOILER ALERT!

Dia's Review: Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns - Lauren Weisberger

If you've seen the film version of The Devil Wears Prada, you'll be unable to read its sequel Revenge Wears Prada without having Meryl Streep acting all of Miranda Priestly's scenes in your head. The same goes with Anne Hathaway as Andy Sachs and Emily Blunt as Emily. And therein, for me, lies the big problem of this book. The original book was one of those notable exceptions to the aphorism that the book is always better than the movie. This sequel suffers the same fate, and it doesn't even have a movie version yet.

Minor spoilers ahead:

The Andy Sachs in this book seems to have a lot of things to complain about, but never seems to be able to fully express her issues clearly -- her doubts about marriage, her reservations about the proposed acquisition of her company, her feelings about Miranda -- to the people who are closest to her. I don't get it. She's a writer, for heaven's sake. She should use her words. Instead, she whines and vacillates in her head, which is a bit tiring for me as a reader. There were times when I just wanted to slap her, but since I had Oscar award-winning actress Anne Hathaway in my head playing Andy, I had to restrain myself.

Miranda is not present for the better part of this book, but still manages to make her ominous present felt. I did enjoy reading one of her litanies of orders to her new assistant, Chandra, in Ms. Streep's distinctive tone. But again, as in the first book, and unlike the movie, we don't really understand why Miranda does the things she does. Why does she go to all that trouble to acquire The Plunge, a promising new bridal magazine, insist on keeping the editorial team during negotiations, then fire the whole team after ten weeks? Why would she make a multi-million dollar offer to acquire it if she plans to change almost everything about it anyway? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to start a new magazine from scratch, especially with her connections and resources? Who knows?

Revenge Wears Prada brings back a host of old characters from the previous book, sometimes for no discernible reason at all. Case in point, that Christian guy (memorably played by the luscious Simon Baker in the movie) was back for two scenes, and I have no idea why. The book also tends to do a lot of the storytelling in flashbacks, and not in an innovative How I Met Your Mother way either. These factors combined made for a snoozable first 300+ pages. The book eventually starts to speed up in its latter half and becomes passably enjoyable as things actually start happening.

But by then all I can think is "Please be over soon so I can move on to my next book."

I really wanted to like this one, but I really really don't. Let's just wait for the movie, shall we? I have a feeling it will be much better.

Source: http://www.not-so-literary-heiresses.com/2013/06/review-revenge-wears-prada-devil.html