NotSoLiteraryHeiresses

The Not-So-Literary Heiresses

We came from a family of writers. Alas, we can't write. So we blog about our love for books instead.

Buona's Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point - Kasie West

Now this is a love triangle that I can sink my teeth into, I thought, even though I'm not really a fan of love triangles (just give me one dreamy guy and stop confusing me please!). Since Addie is living out two alternate realities, we get to be with both Duke and Trevor without any feelings of guilt.

More than just a love story, the premise is unique and interesting: In Southeast Texas is a secret, walled compound where the psychologically enhanced live, where people use more than ten percent of their brain and an ability would Present itself at around seventh grade, and where classes are taught to enhance these traits. Addie's world includes a Discerner  dad who can tell if anyone is lying, a Persuasive mom who can make her do anything she wants, and a best friend Laila who erases memories.

Addie's story starts when given this choice: live with her mom in the Compound after the divorce, or with her dad who was going to live in the Norm community. But the simplest of choices can lead to the most final of conclusions, and Addie's decision affects not only her, but the lives of everyone she loves as well.

Each chapter takes us alternately through the events in each reality. I found it cool that while in the Norm world, the happenings in the Para world would still inject itself, mostly through Addie's connection with Laila.

I love Addie. Even though she's not as sarcastic or dry as Kasie West's other character Caymen from The Distance Between Us, she is subtly funny. An example is when Laila says this about Duke: "You hate obvious boys. Because heaven forbid you like something that everyone else does. If you don't have to hunt for it, and carefully plan its capture, it must not be worth having," and Addie thinks this: I ignore the fact that she just made a guy sound like a prize elk. And she is so unselfish, which is more than I can say about heroines nowadays. In the land of the normal, she tries to find out who she is without her power to define her and Trevor gives this to her in an offhand comment to his mom, while she struggled with the simple request to share something about herself.

"She loves to read, Mom. Like these really old, boring books. The ones Dad likes. Plus lame ones, like I do. And she's not a huge football fan. I think she only tolerates it for our sake. She's super-smart, my main competition in Government. And since coming into my room, she has probably had to stop herself several times from cleaning up the shoes spilling out of my closet."

Addie makes friends with Trevor like a kindergartener would. How? She writes him a note. A witty note, to which he replied with a witty note of his own, but a note nonetheless. She assigns him the role of "Future Best Friend," which he kind of makes fun of. "Don't best friends hug before they go anywhere?"
I love their relationship. They start out as friends and Addie struggles against her feelings because she can't tell him who she really is.

I struggled in my Goodreads rating: I went from a 4 to a 5 and back down to a 4 again so I'm finally settling for a 4.5. My feelings are all over the place after the ending. I agree with what she did, but it was such a sacrifice. The only thing that's saving me is that there's going to be a Part Two to look forward to. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! I absolutely can't wait until February 2014!

Source: http://www.not-so-literary-heiresses.com/2013/08/review-pivot-point-by-kasie-west.html