NotSoLiteraryHeiresses

The Not-So-Literary Heiresses

We came from a family of writers. Alas, we can't write. So we blog about our love for books instead.

Dia's Review: Tangled by Emma Chase

Tangled - Emma Chase

So my co-heiresses both recommended this to me, which explains why I plodded through this extremely annoying, mysoginistic book until the very end even though I had been wanting to put it down -- or throw it against the wall (oh, but wait, it's on my iPad) -- a few chapters in.

Spoliers ahead:

I'm sorry, but the asshole Drew annoyed me because he's a complete ass in almost every way. Not just in how he talked down to Kate after they delivered a pitch to a potential client...

"Really? 'Cause it seems like you're offering him something else entirely."
"What are you trying to say?"
"Come on, Kate. You went to Wharton. I think you can figure out exactly what I'm saying."
"I have been completely professional..."
"You'd be more subtle if you ripped open your blouse and shoved your tits in his face."

... but also when he was being "sweet" and trying to win her back. How does he try to win her back, you ask? Oh, he just paid a band of musicians to follow her around the office to serenade her. The whole day. In a very competitive investment bank where she's the new employee trying to make a name for herself, and he's the son of the owner and the star of the firm. And she doesn't have much money, so she really needs this job. Maybe it's just me, but I just think that this is not the best way for a woman to make the best impression at her new workplace, so it's way inconsiderate of him to do that. And of course, no one will think less of him for doing it.

Don't get me wrong, I do find some portrayals of asshole dudes extremely funny (such as Barney Stinson from HIMYM, as Amir mentions below). Unfortunately, Drew falls on the extremely irritating end of the hilarious/irritating playboy scale for me.

Another thing I hate about this book? The heroine, Kate. How can she go from absorbing all of his sexist, juvenile comments to making out with him in the next breath? Drew disrespects her fiancé in front of everyone at the firm (the same fiancé who, although he's not perfect and is a struggling musician, supported her the entire time she she was studying), and she goes into the next room and again starts making out with Drew. What a screwed up woman. Sheryl Sandberg would be so disappointed -- Kate is definitely NOT leaning in.

In summary, I hate this book with the fire of a thousand suns. Sorry, co-heiresses, but nothing about it was a love story for me. We can just agree to disagree on this one.

Source: http://www.not-so-literary-heiresses.com/2013/08/all-heiresses-review-tangled-by-emma_9.html