NotSoLiteraryHeiresses

The Not-So-Literary Heiresses

We came from a family of writers. Alas, we can't write. So we blog about our love for books instead.

Amir's Review: Tangled by Emma Chase

Tangled - Emma Chase

When I decided to read this book, I was looking for something romantic, light, and funny. Tangled certainly did the job! From the first few pages, we already know that Drew is heartbroken and in love. But how he got there was not a quick journey.

The brutal truth is, womanizing assholes like Drew Evans exist, ladies... and at least he's honest about it. I remember reading the wonderful Aestas' recommendation page saying that she's highlighted probably half the book and I don't blame her, I did the same.

"For those ladies out there who are listening, let me give you some free advice: If a guy who you just met at a club calls you baby, sweetheart, angel or any other generic endearment? Don't make the mistake of thinking he's so into you, he's already thinking up pet names. It's because he can't or doesn't care to remember your actual name."

I love the brutal, albeit sometimes douchey honesty of Drew. Think Barney from How I Met Your Mother but more muscular and with really nice abs. Like Ryan Gosling's character in Crazy Stupid Love. I know he can be an asshole but I like him, probably because he reminds me of my guy friends from ships. He's good looking, women fawn over him, he's good at his job, and he knows it. Life can not get any better for Drew Evans. Enter Kate Brooks.

The instant attraction between the two is strong but I like that although Drew really wants to get Kate into bed the instant he sees her, he doesn't magically fall in love and change his whole personality. He didn't change his womanizing ways because of five minutes of alone time with her. No, he was attracted to Kate but he wasn't about to change his life for any woman, no matter how strong their chemistry was.

"Maybe you'll understand my point of view if I put it this way. You brush your teeth, right? Well, suppose your favorite toothpaste is Aquafresh. But the store is out. All they have is Colgate. What are you going to do? You're going to use Colgate, right? You may want Aquafresh, but when all is said and done, you use what you have to keep those pearly whites clean. See my way of thinking? Good."

There was a process to the romance, and I found it believable. Kate challenged him in a way that no woman was able to. She was smart and talented and I love how they became arch enemies in the office with their competitiveness. In Drew's eyes, Kate slowly develops from some random woman he wanted to bang to someone he's not only attracted to, but also admires as a colleague. By the time he realized that he's actually in love with her, I understood why. She gets under his skin not just because she's hot, but because he likes her personality.

I really enjoyed this book. Drew's POV and screwed up words of wisdom are hilarious and really, it was just a fun and entertaining read.

Source: http://www.not-so-literary-heiresses.com/2013/08/all-heiresses-review-tangled-by-emma_9.html